Converged charging and service delivery platform
MEDIO is a unique communications platform that is the base for on-line-charging (OCS) and other profitable services (VAS).
The current telecommunication market has witnessed unprecedented growth over the last few years. Furthermore, consumers are demanding access to services at affordable rates with minimal delays. Network providers must be able and willing to introduce new products and services not only to maintain market share but also to expand market share.
At SITRONICS Telecom Solutions we have a solution, our IN (Intelligent Networks) will help drive market share up enabling providers to consistently outsell competitors.
The term Intelligent Network refers to a telecommunication network built on a computer based platform. The main objective of the Intelligent Network is to provide a wide range of generic services while creating tailor-made new services based on specific requirements in a relatively short period of time. The IN concept is based on architecture where service provisioning functions are distributed over specialised network nodes. Concentrating the most important functions at control nodes enables software upgrades without affecting the remaining network. As a result, new services are provided without interruption to the system.
The creation of MEDIO IN solution is our contribution to intelligent networking. MEDIO provides switching functions (SSP), in-band-information oriented functions (IP), control functions (SCP) and database functions (SDP) for required IN services. Apart from its basic functions, MEDIO provides interfaces for service maintenance (SMP) and introduction of new services (SCEP).
MEDIO OCS is a real-time intelligent network platform that brings customer demands and related business processes into focus, allowing the technology to play a secondary supportive role. The MEDIO platform provides legacy Intelligent Network (IN) Value Added Services (VAS) and convergent Online Charging Service (OLC) to all generations of mobile Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) or Universal Mobile Telecommunication System (UMTS) networks (2G, 2.5G, 3G), as well as Internet Protocol (IP) and fixed networks based on country-specific dialects of Intelligent Network Application Part (INAP) protocol.
The MEDIO platform enables operators to achieve considerable Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) and Operating Expenditure (OPEX) savings by shortening the time-to-market when making modifications to existing services, and reducing the time-to-market and cost of introducing new services, as well as lowering overall operation expenses as a result of the unified customer centric architecture.
The MEDIO platform is based on the “fully convergent” solution concept:
- All services – Voice/Data/Content service convergence
- All networks – Fixed/Mobile/IP convergence
- All users – Prepaid/Postpaid convergence
The MEDIO platform is a modular, component based system, with open interfaces. This enables it to easily integrate with other applications such as Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), other vendor’s billing solutions and service/content delivery systems or legacy software. You may also implement only certain modules of the system and integrate them with external applications.
The system supports the following functions
- Service rendering control dependent on the subscriber`s life time status and its administrative status, the tariff plan, the values of the account balance and the monetary counters, the set of activated services, the service usage history, and the assigned restrictions and discounts.
- On-line charging, balance and counters correction and prevention of funds expenditure below the assigned credit limit.
- Off-line charging integration (for services not controlled by the system by the decision of Service Operator).
- Using a single tariff model for on-line and off-line charging.
- Disabling access to services controlled by the system if required by the servicing algorithm.
- Informing the subscriber about events causing changes to the account life time status.
- Charging regular fees.
- Charging administrative fees.
- Recharging the online balance via different carriers (DTMF, USSD).
- Changing the online tariff model via different carrier types (DTMF, USSD).
The System supports the following options for mobile convergent billing
- A single account data storage model for all types of subscribers.
- Simplification of the subscriber’s service due to the support of shared accounts and tariffs.
- A simplified procedure for migration from one service payment type to another – post-paid, prepaid performed automatically on the initiative of the Service
- Operator or the subscriber.
- A common algorithm for the control of the service rendering set according to the subscriber’s type and service features provided.
The system informs the subscriber via voice announcements (using resources of SSP/IP or Assisted IP) as well as SMS, USSD.
The MEDIO SCP platform and FORIS OSS are an integrated solution, which permits operators to compete successfully on the current market and simplifies migration to New Generation Networks and IP Multimedia Subsystems (IMS).
Value Added Services Supported By The IN Platform
A potentially unlimited assortment of services can be provided. The following is a basic group of generic services:
- Free phone (FPH) enables reverse charging, i.e. the caller dials free phone number and the service subscriber (called party) accepts call charges.
- Universal Access Number (UAN) enables service subscriber with several terminating lines at different locations to be reached via a unique number. Based on the area from which the incoming call originates, the service subscriber can specify the terminating line to which the call is routed. Premium Rate Services (PRM) allows service subscriber to charge the caller who dials the premium rate number at a special rate both for call duration and information obtained.
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN) permits building of private network by using public network resources. Lines connected to different switches constitute a virtual PBX, including a number of PBX capabilities, such as private numbering plan (PNP), call transfer, call hold etc.
- The Pre-Paid Calling Card (PPC) service allows End users to make calls from any private or public phone. The PPC service is a transparent service, so the end user can alternate freely between mobile and fixed line phones, no special SIM-card is needed. The originating calls can be free of charge (this depends on the defined access number), so no coins are needed at public telephones.
- Televoting (VOT) enables the service subscriber to conduct a phone vote. Callers are asked to call either a specific number depending on which option they want to vote for, or a unique number - and then based on the prompted option give their vote via keyboard.
- Voice and Fax Messaging Services (VFMS) support handling of voice and fax.
- Number Portability (NP) enables service users to retain their phone number when moving their permanent location to a new location
- Short Message Service Centre (SMSC) supporting delivery of SMS via signalization between end users.
- Circuit Switching Data (CSD) is the original form of data transmission developed for the TDMA-based mobile phone. CSD uses a single radio timeslot to deliver 9.6 kbit/s data transmission to the GSM Network and Switching Subsystem where it could be connected through the equivalent of a normal modem to the PSTN allowing direct calls to any dial up service.
10 key points for MEDIO IN SCP use
- MEDIO tested solution (from 1996), basis for a wide range of other systems
- Network (voice, data), recurrent and non-recurrent services rating, content rating and VAS integrated on one platform
- On-line charging capabilities - Including post-paid subscribers
- Flexible tariff models, cumulative counters, packets and other converged possibilities for pre-paid and post-paid subscribers
- Open scalable system
- Full service provisioning and debt reduction control
- Rating “transparency” for subscribers – provided services cost informing
- Network operators’ requirements conformity
- CAPEX and OPEX reduction due to integrated multifunctional hardware platform use
- Extra features
Main advantages of platform implementation
- Solution that simplifies migration to 3G/NGN, IMS networks – CAPEX reduction
- Rating system shared to OSS system – OPEX reduction
- Flexible and high-end converged rating system – risk management
- Embedded visualization system that simplifies service development and speeds up their deployment – competitive advantages
- Fast service initiation on universal platform – income increase
- Wide service personification capabilities – subscriber churn prevention
- Future-proof solution – continuity and high-quality service assurance
- The same capability set for pre-paid and post-paid subscribers
- New profitable services for groups, families and individual subscribers
- Loyalty encouragement and different bonus programs
- Personification capabilities – options choice from available capability set
- Simple and handy self-service system interface
- Simple procedure of tariff model, optional service set and payment methods change
Advantages of the integrated hardware solution - Proven switching platform
- The MEDIO switching platform is the foundation for developing a wide range of systems
- Proven integration with key-manufacturers’ equipment
- Integration with all network types (fixed, mobile, NGN, IMS)
- Open API interfaces for external applications
- High performance - proven by evaluation tests to support more than 6 million subscribers with thousands of tariff
- Modularity, flexible scalability and component reuse
- High performance and high availability
- Full coverage of all run-time operational aspects
- Extensive architecture based on technological innovations and customer needs
For more information: Datasheet MEDIO 2.0 Convergent Online Charging (pdf)
For more information: Datasheet MEDIO IN (pdf)
For more information: Datasheet MEDIO VFMS (pdf)